10 Steps to Put Eye Drops Properly in Your Eyes
Eye drops bring relief if you have an allergy, red eyes, dry eye or you have gone through some eye treatment. But easing your discomfort requires putting an eye drop correctly. This may seem difficult at first but will become easier with practice.
Is there a wrong way to put in eye drops?
Yes, you don’t want eye drop running out of your eye and down your face, because that’s messy and it’s expensive.
10 steps to put eye drop correctly.
1.Wash your hand with soap and water
Wash your hand thoroughly using soap and dry them using a clean towel.
2. If you are wearing contact lenses, remove them.
The only exception is if you are using eye drops that are specifically formulated to moisten your contact lens or if your doctor advised you to use the drops in this manner.
3. Either lie down or tilt your head back and look up at the ceiling
Concentrate a point on the ceiling, keeping your eye wide open.
4. Use your finger to keep more of the eye drop in your eye
Place one or two-finger on your face about an inch below your eye. Gently pull down to create a pocket between your lower eyelid and your eyeball.
5. Hold the bottle close to your eye (about an inch away)
Be careful not to let the dropper touch your eye or eyelashes since this can introduce bacteria and other organisms into the eye drops in the bottle.
6. Squeeze lightly to place one drop inside your lower eyelid.
7. Remove your hands from your face, close your eyes, tilt your head down
Try not to blink, as this can force some of the drops out of your eyes before it has has a chance to be absorbed.
8. Use a clean tissue to absorb and wipe any drops that spill out of your eye.
9. Replace the cap of the bottle and screw it on securely
Never wipe the dropper tip with anything, as this may contaminate the drops.
10. Wash your hand to rinse away any stray eyedrops.